Thursday, September 15, 2016

A Special Flag

On my living room wall hangs a very special United States flag.  Not made of cotton, nylon, or any other fabric normally used for flags, this particular flag is made of barbed wire salvaged from last year’s fires, and constructed by local artist Har-V Wolfsen of Har-V’s Wild Notions in Kooskia.  Har-V tells me that each flag contains about 200 feet of wire carefully straightened, formed, and welded together.  The finish is a powder coating done by a special process he developed specifically for this project.  I understand it takes about two weeks work to make each flag.

Har-V’s done several of these flags so far, and what will undoubtedly become the best known was presented to Presidential candidate Donald Trump when he was campaigning in Spokane recently.  This flag currently resides at the Trump campaign office in New York.  Another resides at the Veterans Memorial at the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally.

I asked Har-V why he decided to use barbed wire of all things, to make an American Flag of, and was informed that he had been asked to do so, and that no one else had ever done it before.  I commented that I had thought it might have been in protest the freedoms we have lost to political correctness in this liberal world we seem to inhabit, and got a sly grin in response to that suggestion.  But yes, barbed wire is quite symbolic I think considering the constraints that have somehow replaced the freedoms that made our nation so exceptional.

Consider, by the liberal standards that seem to be taking over our country, I was born white, therefore I am a racist.  I am heterosexual, which makes me a homophobe.  I am a Christian, which makes me an Islamophobe.  I'm an American Patriot that believes in the Constitutional right to own a gun, which makes me a radical right wing nut job.  I think and I reason, therefore I doubt much that the mainstream media tells me, which makes me a reactionary.  I am proud of my heritage and our distinctly American culture, which makes me a xenophobe.  I value my safety and that of my family; therefore I appreciate the police and the legal system, which makes me a right-wing extremist.  I am a veteran who believes in the defense and protection of this nation by all citizens, which makes me a militarist.  Heck, I’m not even sure which restroom I’m supposed to use anymore!

And, if I disagree with any of these liberal descriptors, then I’m called a “Hater”, probably correctly I guess, because I hate what the loony leftists and their ignorant followers are doing to the country I love, and have faithfully served for so many years.


In the meantime, my barbed wire flag hangs proudly on my wall.

No comments: